Balancing for Child Care Subsidy is approaching

28 July 2021

We’ll start balancing Child Care Subsidy (CCS) for 2020-21 from mid-August.

Every year, we balance CCS to make sure we paid you the right amount.

What you need to do

You and your partner need to confirm your income for us to balance your CCS. You can do this by either:

  • lodging a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
  • telling us you don’t need to lodge.

If you or your partner don’t need to lodge a tax return, you can tell us by using either your:

To check if you need to lodge a return, use the Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool on the ATO website.

Remember, even if you told the ATO you don’t need to lodge, you still need to tell us too.

If you and your partner, if you have one, have already lodged a tax return with the ATO, there’s nothing you need to do. We’ll balance your CCS as soon as possible.

What if you separated during the year

If you’ve separated during 2020-21, we may use your ex-partners income to balance your payments. We can’t balance your CCS until either:

  • your ex-partner lodges a tax return
  • you tell us they don’t need to lodge by calling the Families line.

Next steps

Read more about balancing Child Care Subsidy.

Page last updated: 2 August 2021