Are you planning to claim Age Pension?

23 November 2020

We’ve answered your questions about what you need to do before making a claim for Age Pension.

How do I know if I’m eligible for Age Pension?

Read who can get it before claiming, and check you meet our income and assets tests first.

What if I’ve lived outside Australia?

You usually need to be an Australian resident for 10 years to claim Age Pension. But international social security agreements can help you meet the minimum period you need to be eligible. They may also let you claim Age Pension when you’re living in another country.

What supporting documents do I need to give?

We need supporting documents to confirm information you give us in your claim. Getting your documents ready will make it easier for you to claim and will help us assess your claim faster.

Before or when you submit your claim, you must give us documents that show your:

  • age and identity
  • bank account details
  • tax file number
  • Australian residence, if you’ve lived outside Australia
  • relationship status
  • income and assets.

If you’ve already provided these, you may not need to do so again.

How do I prove my identity?

If you’re claiming a payment for the first time, you need to prove your identity with us first. You can do this either online or over the phone. At a later date, we’ll need more identity documents from you to complete our identity requirements. We’ll contact you to let you know what we need.

Can someone else claim on my behalf?

If you have a correspondence nominee, they can do the following for you:

  • complete and sign forms
  • complete all or part of the online claim
  • come to appointments
  • upload documents online.

Find out how to make a nominee arrangement.

Can I get help in other languages?

You can read about Age Pension in your own language, or call us to speak with someone in your language.

What are the next steps?

You should:

Page last updated: 7 January 2021