Are you moving from an outer regional or remote area to study?

19 November 2020

If you’re moving from home to study next year, you might be eligible for the Tertiary Access Payment.

news item

This is a new payment of $5,000 for students moving for tertiary study straight after finishing year 12 or equivalent.

If you’re eligible, we’ll pay you in 2 instalments. We’ll pay $3,000 in the first half of the academic year, and $2,000 in the second half.

You don’t need to get other payments from us to get this payment. But you do need to meet certain rules.

You can see who can get it and read more about the Tertiary Access Payment.

You can apply for the Tertiary Access Payment from 1 January 2021.

For now, check if you’re eligible to apply. You’ll need to be:

  • from an outer regional or remote area
  • starting tertiary study after completing Year 12 or equivalent
  • enrolled in at least 1 year of full time tertiary study at certificate 4 level or above in the next available study period
  • under 22 years old on the day you start studying
  • moving to study at an education institute more than 90 minutes from your family home by public transport.

Your parents or guardians' income must also be below $250,000 to get this payment.

Next steps

Check if you’re eligible for student payments using the Payment and Service Finder.

Read more news for students and trainees.

Page last updated: 19 November 2020