If you need other support

If you’ve been affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) there is other support available. You don’t have to get a payment from us to get other help.

We have multiple system updates and changes to some of our content and services

Temporary pause on Centrelink debts is ending

We’re restarting debt activities for people who were in a Local Government Area impacted by COVID-19 lockdowns.

Limited access to free COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests

The Australian Government has announced concession and health care card holders will be able to access limited free Rapid Antigen Tests through pharmacies. More information will be available soon.

COVID-19 may have affected you or your family in any of these ways:

  • lost income
  • restricted movement or lockdown
  • isolation or quarantine
  • increased caring responsibilities
  • reduced access to services and supplies
  • increased stress.

The temporary pause on debt activities in COVID-19 locked down Local Government Areas lifted on 9 January 2022. However, people won’t need to start repaying money until after 1 July 2022.

Our social workers provide short-term counselling and can refer you to other services.

Our Community Engagement Officers help you access payments and services if you find it hard to access them.

The Financial Information Service can help you with money matters. You can go to one near you.

Our service centres

Our service centres remain open. In line with health advice we limit the number of staff and customers inside our service centres. You may need to check in and wear a face mask.

In a lockdown area only visit us if it’s essential. You can do most of your Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support business with us online through myGov.

If you can’t do your business online, you can call us.

Some service centres aren’t booking appointments. Check if this affects your local service centre.

Other support

Lifeline offers personal crisis support services. Call them on 131 114 at any time.

Kids Helpline is a free service for young people aged 5 to 25. There’s also information for parents, carers and teachers.

To contact them:

  • call 1800 551 800 at any time
  • go to the Kids Helpline website.

The Department of Health website has information about looking after your mental health during coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions.

Healthdirect’s COVID-19 Restriction Checker tool can tell you what you can and can’t do during a lockdown in your state or territory.

Ask Izzy is a free and anonymous way to find national and local support. It includes services like housing, meals, healthcare, counselling and legal advice.

The Moneysmart website has information about support and services for making financial decisions during COVID-19.

Page last updated: 10 January 2022