How to claim

There are 3 steps to claim the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment.

When claiming, you need to make sure the information you give us is true and correct. You must base your claim on your actual circumstances.

If you have a Centrelink online account that’s linked to myGov, sign in and start your claim now.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have these set up, you’ll need to follow these steps.

Steps to claim New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online. If you hold a protected Special Category Visa (subclass 444), you’re considered to be an Australian resident and should claim Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

    If you don’t have a myGov account, you’ll need to set it up online.

    If your Centrelink online account isn’t linked to myGov, you can prove who you are through myGov to link Centrelink.

    If you need help claiming you can call us on the Emergency information line. If you have a correspondence nominee, they can call the Emergency information line to submit a claim for you. They cannot submit an online claim on your behalf.


    2. Link Centrelink to your myGov account

    Sign into myGov and select View and link services, then select Centrelink to link it to your myGov account. How you do this will depend on if you’ve claimed a payment from us before.

    If you’ve claimed a payment before

    If you’ve claimed a payment before, you can use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link Centrelink to myGov. You’ll also need to answer some personal questions.

    If you don’t know your CRN or can’t answer the personal questions using your CRN, select No to Do you have or know your CRN?.

    You’ll need to prove your identity online, using myGov. Follow the same instructions for ‘If you haven’t claimed a payment before’.

    If you haven’t claimed a payment before

    If you haven’t claimed a payment from us before, you’ll need to prove your identity online using myGov.

    You’ll need to enter some personal information and details from 2 acceptable identity documents and your Medicare card. Once you prove your identity, we’ll link Centrelink to your myGov account.


    3. Make your claim

    Now your accounts are set up, sign in and start your claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    Then follow these steps:

    1. Select Centrelink.
    2. Select Payments and claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
    3. Select Help in an emergency.
    4. Select Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment and answer the eligibility and claim questions.
    5. Submit your claim.

We often see the best come out in people and communities that are affected by a natural disaster. Most people want to do the right thing and help. But there are others who try to take advantage of this stressful time.

Read about how to avoid scams and fraud.

Contact numbers available on this page.

Emergency information line

Call this line if you’re affected by a natural disaster and need help to claim a payment.

Natural disaster payment support

Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm. 

There are other ways you may want to contact us.

Page last updated: 9 May 2023.
QC 64435

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.