How to claim

There are 3 steps to claim the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment.

Evidence of damage

If your claim is due to property or major assets damage, you must first assess the damage. You may need to provide evidence such as photos to support your claim.

If you have a myGov account that’s linked to Centrelink, sign in and start your claim now.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have these set up, you’ll need to follow these steps.

Steps to claim New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way for Australian residents to claim is online. If you’re a protected special category (444) visa holder, you’re considered to be an Australian resident and can claim online.

    If you don’t have a myGov account, you’ll need to set it up online.

    If your myGov account isn’t linked to Centrelink, you can prove who you are through myGov to link Centrelink.

    If you need help claiming you can call us on the Emergency information line on 180 22 66. If you have a nominee, they must call the Emergency information line to claim on your behalf.


    2. Link Centrelink to your myGov account

    Sign into myGov and select View and link services, then select Centrelink to link it to your myGov account. How you do this will depend on if you’ve claimed a payment from us before.

    If you’ve claimed a payment before

    If you’ve claimed a payment before, you can use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link Centrelink to myGov. You’ll also need to answer some personal questions.

    If you don’t know your CRN or can’t answer the personal questions using your CRN, select No to Do you have or know your CRN?.

    You’ll need to prove your identity online, using myGov. Follow the same instructions for ‘If you haven’t claimed a payment before’.

    If you haven’t claimed a payment before

    If you haven’t claimed a payment from us before, you’ll need to prove your identity online using myGov.

    You’ll need to enter some personal information and details from 2 acceptable identity documents and your Medicare card. Once you prove your identity, we’ll link Centrelink to your myGov account.


    3. Make your claim

    Now your accounts are set up, sign in and start your claim.

    Sign in to myGov

    Then follow these steps:

    1. Select Centrelink.
    2. Select Payments and claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
    3. Select Help in an emergency.
    4. Select Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment and answer the eligibility and claim questions.
    5. Submit your claim.

Page last updated: 17 November 2022