Get Medicare if you are an Afghan evacuee and permanent resident

Published: 15 November 2023

If you’ve been granted permanent residency after holding a subclass 449 visa, you’ll need to let us know.

You’ll need to provide:

  • a copy of your current passport or Immicard
  • proof from the Department of Home Affairs that you are a permanent resident
  • a completed Medicare enrolment form.

Once we have supporting documents for each person and a completed enrolment form, we’ll update your Medicare entitlement and send you a new Medicare card.

Read more about documents to enrol in Medicare if you’re a permanent resident.

Subscribe to news

If you haven't already, please subscribe to our News and we'll send you regular news highlights. You can also opt out at any time. Read more about our email news privacy policy.

Life events

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Health and disability RSS feed

Page last updated: 15 November 2023.
QC 65482