Finishing high school soon? Get prepared for 2022 now

6 October 2021

There are 4 things you can do now to be ready to study or work next year.

1. Explore different payments

If you’re thinking about doing further study or training you might get a student payment to help support you. These include payments like Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY. There’s also payments to help with moving and living costs or if you’re looking for work.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to find out what you could get, and how much your fortnightly payment might be.

2. Set yourself up online

The way to claim a student payment and access many other services is through myGov. You’ll need an email address to create a myGov account. Once you have an account, you can then link to Centrelink and Medicare.

There are online guides to help you.

3. Get a tax file number

You can’t claim a payment without a tax file number (TFN). If you don’t already have one, you can apply for a TFN through the Australian Taxation Office.

4. Get proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations

Access your vaccination history through myGov. You can get proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations through your immunisation history statement or COVID-19 digital certificate. Learn more about getting proof based on your situation.

More information

Find out more about the support available when you’re leaving school.

Subscribe to news

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Education RSS feed

Page last updated: 10 December 2021