Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Farm Household Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, you need to be travelling for an approved reason. Otherwise, your payment will stop on departure.

What the approved reasons for payment overseas are

We may pay Farm Household Allowance outside Australia for up to 6 weeks for any of these approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis – for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons – for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that isn’t available in Australia.

Australian Defence Force Reserves

If you leave for Defence Force Reserves training, you keep getting Farm Household Allowance for the whole time you’re training.

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you plan to leave Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us on the Farmer assistance hotline to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021