Fares allowance can help with your trip home for semester break

Published: 22 November 2023

It can help you with the cost of travelling between your place of study and permanent home.

To get Fares Allowance you need to:

  • be a tertiary student living away from home to study
  • get Youth Allowance, Austudy or Pensioner Education Supplement
  • meet the other eligibility criteria.

If you’re eligible, contact us at least 7 days before your trip to pre-book your travel. You can also book it yourself and be re-imbursed.

Make sure you keep your travel receipts and itinerary to support your claim.

Read more about Fares Allowance.

Subscribe to news

If you haven't already, please subscribe to our News and we'll send you regular news highlights. You can also opt out at any time. Read more about our email news privacy policy.

Life events

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Education RSS feed

Page last updated: 22 November 2023.
QC 65503