Emergency payments you need to report in your tax return

11 July 2022

You must report any taxable emergency payments you got from us in the 2021-22 tax year.

Taxable payments

If you got any of these payments in the 2021-22 tax year, you need to declare them in your tax return:

  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance Top-up
  • New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.

If you get family assistance payments, you’ll also need to include these disaster payments as income if you need to advise non lodgement of tax return.

Non-taxable payments

You don’t need to report any of these non-taxable disaster payments:

  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment
  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment - Special Supplement for a natural disaster
  • Australian Victim of Terrorism Overseas Payment
  • COVID-19 Disaster Payment.

Subscribe to news

If you haven't already, please subscribe to our News and we'll send you regular news highlights. You can also opt out at any time. Read more about our email news privacy policy.

Life events

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Work RSS feed

Page last updated: 19 July 2022