Pharmacies will have the option to offer increased discounting for PBS medicines within the Increased Discounting Range (IDR) for the quantity supplied over $30.00 up to $45.60. This is the price before subtracting the co-payment.
You can only discount medicines by more than $1.00 that have a dispensed price for the quantity supplied over $30.00 up to $45.60.
It’s up to pharmacies to decide between:
- not receiving the PBS subsidy and discounting medicines by more than $1.00
- receiving the PBS subsidy and discounting medicines up to $1.00
- receiving the PBS subsidy and not offering a discount.
You can tell us which option you’ve chosen as part of your PBS Online claim.
Submitting your PBS Online claim
PBS Online will reject the prescription if you both:
- apply a discount of more than $1.00 for a medicine within the IDR of over $30.00 up to $45.60
- submit the prescription in claimable category.
You’ll get a message if you submit a general prescription under co-payment which both:
- falls within the IDR of over $30.00 up to $45.60
- has a discount of more than $1.00 for a medication within the IDR range.
You can find more information and downloadable patient resources on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme website.
Read about claiming online for PBS medicines.
Subscribe to news
RSS News feed
Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.