Choosing a bank account
If you are paying too much in fees, think about finding a fee free bank account.
Fee free bank accounts, also called basic bank accounts, are transaction accounts with any of the following:
- no account keeping fees
- free monthly statements
- no minimum deposit amounts
- no overdrawn fees
- no cost to set up and cancel direct debits
- free and unlimited transactions.
There are some fee free bank accounts offered to all Australians. But some need you to hold any of the following:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
For other money tips and tricks, read about managing your money.
If you overdraw your account
You can get help to manage your money if your bank balance goes below zero.